A substitute permit may be issued to an applicant who holds a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, but has not completed a state-approved educator preparation program.
The application for a substitute permit must be submitted by the employing school district where there has been a shortage of substitute teachers who are fully licensed. As part of the application, the school district must have a plan for providing training to the substitute permit holder.
The three-year substitute permit allows the permit holder to be in a short-term (no more than 20 days in a specific assignment) substitute assignment. The substitute permit does not allow the permit holder to be in a long-term substitute assignment.
For long-term substitute assignment, the applicant may apply for an emergency permit if requested by the employing school district. Emergency permit requires the permit holder to be enrolled in and complete a state-approved educator preparation program in the subject or grade level of their assignment under the emergency permit.
The substitute permit is issued for a period of 3 years and may be renewed upon request from the employing school district.
License Application Requirements
To apply for a three-year substitute permit:
- Applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Submit original transcripts with the application.
- The application must be completed by both the applicant and the employing school district.
License Renewal Requirements
To renew a three-year substitute permit:
- The DPI does not require completion of coursework to renew three-year substitute permit.
- The application must be completed by both the application and the employing school district.
Directions for applying can be found at http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-sub-permit-tips.
- Applying for a license/permit
- Renewing a license/permit
- Background check and fingerprint
- License and Assignment
- Emergency license/permit
Substitute Teacher Training Programs
The following organizations offer training programs for substitute teaching:
- Team Educators – Information about one-day Substitute Teacher Certification Training Program offered by Team Educators.
- CESA 1 Substitute Teacher Training – Information about program offered by CESA 1 for Substitute Teacher Training.
- WEAC Professional Development Academy – Information about substitute teacher training program offered by WEAC Professional Development Academy.
- CESA 9 Substitute Teacher Training - Information about program offered by CESA 9 for Substitute Teacher Training.