Pathways to Licensure

Wisconsin offers multiple pathways to meet the requirements to become a Wisconsin licensed teacher, pupil services professional, or administrator. Whether you are a recent high school graduate with hopes of becoming a teacher; a working adult seeking a career change; a returning adult college student; an out-of-state applicant relocating to Wisconsin; or a Wisconsin educator seeking additional licensure, Wisconsin has a pathway waiting for you. Use the information on this page to locate a pathway that will serve your needs.

Minimum degree requirements for Wisconsin Licensure:

  • A Bachelor's degree is required for most all Wisconsin teaching licenses.
  • A Master's, Education Specialist, or Doctoral degree is required for most all Pupil Services and Administrator licenses.
  • Refer to the specific licensing pathway for exact details.

Which pathway is right for you?

Click a pathway that fits your situation.

Who are you? Pathway Options
Seeking an Initial Teaching License but do not have a bachelor's degree

Bachelor's Degree Pathway

Seeking an Initial Teaching License and already have a bachelor's degree
  1. Post-baccalaureate Pathway
  2. Alternative Route Program Pathway
  3. License Based on Equivalency Pathway
Completed an educator preparation program outside of Wisconsin Out-of-State Pathway


Teacher from outside of U.S.

  1. International and Guest Teacher Exchange Pathway
  2. Pathway for Educators Trained Outside the US
Seeking an Administrator License Administrator Pathway
Seeking a Pupil Services License Pupil Services Pathway


Seeking an additional Teacher License

  1. License Based on a Content Test Pathway
  2. Post-baccalaureate Pathway
  3. Alternative Route Program Pathway

Seeking a permit to teach upper level Technology Education classes

Trade Specialist Pathway


Seeking a license that requires school district support

  1. Professional Teaching Permit Pathway
  2. Experience-based Technology Education Pathway
  3. License Based on Reciprocity Pathway
Seeking a license to teach in a Montessori school Montessori License Pathway