- Bachelor's degree
- Completed an approved educator preparation program outside WI
- Seeking Initial WI license
Seeking a Wisconsin License as an Out-of-State applicant?
People who fit this pathway profile have completed a state-approved educator preparation program at an accredited institution of higher education headquartered outside Wisconsin. They have also completed the testing requirements of that state and are eligible for licensure in that state. Candidates should apply for the Wisconsin license that most closely matches their out-of-state license. Upon application, a review will be completed to determine comparability with Wisconsin preparation, testing, and statutory requirements.
If you fit this pathway profile:
- DETERMINE the Wisconsin license that most closely matches the out-of-state license you hold and follow the steps identified here: Out-of-State Applicants
- COMPLETE the Wisconsin testing requirements. Elementary Educators, please see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/oos-elementary for more specific information.
- UNDERSTAND the Wisconsin statutory and administrative rule requirements. Learn about the most common stipulations at Common Wisconsin Stipulations for Out-of-State Applicants
- APPLY for a Wisconsin License using the ELO System.
If you have received an offer of employment from a Wisconsin school, have a valid license from another state, and have at least one year of experience under that license, you may be eligible to apply through our License Based on Reciprocity Pathway.
If you completed an alternative route program outside Wisconsin, use the License Based on Equivalency.