Requirements to renew a license or permit depend on the type of license an applicant holds or held. Please refer to License Type and Requirements for information on each license type.
In general, licenses and permits issued by the DPI have a start date of July 1 expiring on June 30. Important: Do not submit your renewal application until after January 1 of the year your license expires. Applications that are submitted more than 6 months prior to the license start date will most likely be returned to sender.
Follow these general directions for renewing your license/permit:
- Use the Online License Lookup tool to find out:
- The license type (2-digit code) of the license(s) that you hold.
- Verify the validity date of your license so you don’t renew too early or too late.
- Check the renewal requirement for the license that you hold.
- Make sure you have fulfilled all required renewal requirement, including professional growth requirement.
- Find the correct application form to use based on your license type.
- Carefully complete the appropriate license application form.
- Carefully and thoroughly complete the Conduct and Competency form, including all necessary supporting documentation. Make sure to have the form notarized. Include fingerprint cards if required as indicated on the Conduct and Competency form.
- Include all required supporting documents (e.g. transcripts, employment verification) with the application form.
- Include the correct fee payment (i.e. check) or payment information (i.e. credit card). Application fee covers the cost of application review and processing. No refund will be made regardless of whether or not a license is issued.
- Mail completed application form, conduct and competency form, supporting documentation, and fee payment to:
DPI Educator Licensing
Milwaukee, WI 53293-0794
Allow some time before your license application information shows on the license lookup. During the busy season (January, February, May – August), it may take up to 8 weeks before the license applications get entered into our system.
To avoid delay in processing your application, please submit a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applicants who submit incomplete application are notified in writing of the specific errors or omissions. Applicants should promptly respond with all necessary information to complete the application.
Applications with fee payment that are sent to DPI Madison office will not be processed. These applications will be forwarded to the DPI lockbox in Milwaukee for fee payment processing, which will delay processing of the application.
When you submit a complete and accurate renewal application before June 30th, Wis. Stat. 227.51 (2) provides that your existing license does not expire until the DPI completes the processing of your renewal application.
Military personnel who are in active duty status at the time of license expiration/renewal may be eligible for a waiver of fee and professional growth requirement. Please refer to Act 209 web page for more information.
If an applicant holds multiple licenses with different expiration dates, generally any other eligible licenses will be renewed at the same time so all licenses can be on the same validity period. Eligibility depends on the various factors such as license types, license stages, and when the professional growth requirement was completed. Please indicate on the application form if you do not want to have your other eligible licenses be renewed to be on the same cycle.
Professional Growth Requirement
Professional growth requirements for license renewal must be completed within the last 5 years immediately preceding the license renewal date.