A Reading Teacher (1316) license is required for the following:
- An assignment to teach reading for more than one class per day.
- An assignment to teach reading in a Title 1 reading program.
- An assignment to teach in a reading recovery program, if not part of a self-contained classroom.
A Reading Teacher license is not required for the following:
- An assignment to teach reading that is part of a regular self-contained classroom.
- As assignment to teach reading that is integrated as part of content courses (i.e. reading in the content area).
A Reading Specialist (1317) license is a license in administrative category. A Reading Specialist license is required for someone who directs reading programs or works with reading teachers, classroom teacher, administrators, and others as a resource teacher in reading.