ELO Applications Tips for Three-Year Short Term Substitute Teacher Permits

Note: We can no longer accept license applications for the 2014-2015 school year.

Directions for Three-Year Short-Term Substitute Teacher Permit applicants:

IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happenedYou must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable.  (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)

  • You will need to scan required documents into PDF files that are less than 2 MB in size each and save the files so that they are readily available to upload into ELO during the application process.
    • a PI-1622-Sub Request form signed by your school district (You only need the PI-1622 form completed by one district if you are  looking to work in multiple districts) 
    • transcripts documenting your bachelors degree
  • Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org to apply. The bottom section allows you to start a new application:

  • Please note that there are two transactions for this application.  The first transaction is used to gather pertinent data and must be approved by DPI before you can complete the second transaction.  There may be a time-lag between your submission of the first transaction and DPI’s notification to you that you may move to the second transaction.

  • You will pay your application fee during the second transaction.  Have your credit card ready.  If you do not already have a credit card, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.


For additional information on emergency permits, please see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/emergency-license-and-permit.


Contact the ELO Help Desk - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/support/contact-elo

For questions about this information, contact (608)