There are a few key steps in the license renewal process that educators can complete now so that they are ready when Educator Licensing Online (ELO) opens for license renewals at the end of March. These include:
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to WAMS Help page, WAMS FAQ page, and for assistance in setting up WAMS account, you may send an email to Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
Successfully "onboard" into the ELO system. This step is critical to the renewal process. It provides the ONLY LINK to your previous DPI license records. Onboarding Instructions
- If you are renewing your license using 6 credits, scan your transcripts into a PDF file. Note: the extension for the file should be lowercase (.pdf).
- If you are renewing by PDP, make sure you have electronically submitted your PDP verification through QEI, WECAN PDP, or WI-PDP. This is an extra step you need to do after your PDP Review Team has verified your PDP.
- If you have lived, worked, or studied outside of Wisconsin since your last license was issued, determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement.
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure. If you will be answering Yes to one or more of questions 2-14, prepare an explanation of what happened that you can upload (unless you have previously submitted an explanation to DPI). Also, scan copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
If you do not already have a credit card to pay the $100 renewal fee, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a local convenience store.