Directions for reactivating a Life License for teachers, administrators and pupil service professionals who have been out of the profession for five or more years.
PLEASE NOTE: a Life License remains valid so long as the holder has been regularly employed as an educator for the equivalent of at least hour for one semester in the past 5 years. If you have met this requirement, please fax a completed PI-1613 Experience Verification form to 608-264-9558 along with a note requesting that your Life License be revalidated.
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- Successfully "onboard" into the ELO system - Onboarding Instructions
Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
- If you are reactivating with credits, you will need to scan the transcripts into a PDF file that is less than 2 MB in size and save the file so that it is readily available to upload into ELO. Transcripts may be unofficial or "issued to student."
- If you are reactivating with a Professional Development Plan (PDP), be sure you have electronically submitted your PDP verification to DPI through QEI or WECAN PDP. This is an extra step you need to do after your PDP Review Team has verified your PDP.
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card to pay the $100 renewal fee, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org. The transaction for requesting that your Life License be revalidated can be found in the drop down menu next to your license in the "Manage your license information" section on the ELO Quick Start page. The transaction number is 5030.