You can use the Wisconsin Educator License Lookup to view the license information of a Wisconsin educator license holder. You can view the following information of the license:
- License type and license stage
- License validity dates
- License status
- Position or subject and the corresponding developmental level or grade level
- Educator file number
- Whether there is a pending renewal application
- Whether an application was submitted, but not approved
You will be able to search for an educator two ways:
- Search by Name. You must know at least the Last Name.
- Search by File/Entity Number.
- The way to tell if someone has applied for a license is that the License Status will say “Applicant.” When an application has been approved and fully processed, the status will change to “Current.”
- For each license, either the low and high grade levels (e.g., 7 - 12) OR the developmental level (e.g., Early Adolescence-Adolescence) will be listed. This depends on whether the educator's preparation program was completed before or after August 31, 2004. For more information, please see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/educator-licenses-general.
Is your current license about to expire?
When you submit a complete, accurate application by the June 30 of the expiration year, your previous license does not expire until DPI has completed processing of your application. You must have received a payment confirmation email from ELO that indicate your application was submitted and paid for. "When an applicant has made a timely and accurate application for the renewal of a license or a new license of a continuing nature, the existing license does not expire until the application has been finally acted upon by DPI." [Wis. Stat. 227.51(2)]
If the license search function is not working, contact Educator Licensing
- License and Assignments – Explanation of DPI license codes.