Note: The ELO system is unavailable Wednesday nights from 10:00pm until 2:00am on Thursdays for scheduled maintenance.
You can use the Wisconsin Educator License Lookup to view the license information of a Wisconsin educator license holder. You can view the following information of the license:
- License type and license stage**
- License validity dates
- License status
- Position or subject and the corresponding developmental level or grade level
- Educator file number
- Whether there is a pending renewal application
- Whether an application was submitted, but not approved
You will be able to search for an educator two ways:
- Search by Name. You must know at least the Last Name.
- Search by File/Entity Number.
**When viewing the license details of an educator, the Stage displayed on a license that expires this year may not reflect the actual Stage for which the educator has been approved. If verifying current licensure for employment, it is recommended that the applicant provide proof of accurate licensure via a copy of their license certificate.**
- The way to tell if someone has applied for a license is that the License Status will say “Applicant.” When an application has been approved and fully processed, the status will change to “Current.”
- For each license, either the low and high grade levels (e.g., 7 - 12) OR the developmental level (e.g., Early Adolescence-Adolescence) will be listed. This depends on whether the educator's preparation program was completed before or after August 31, 2004. For more information, please see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/educator-licenses-general.
Is your current license about to expire?
When you submit a complete, accurate application by the June 30 of the expiration year, your previous license does not expire until DPI has completed processing of your application. You must have received a payment confirmation email from ELO that indicate your application was submitted and paid for. "When an applicant has made a timely and accurate application for the renewal of a license or a new license of a continuing nature, the existing license does not expire until the application has been finally acted upon by DPI." [Wis. Stat. 227.51(2)]
If the license search function is not working, contact Educator Licensing
- License and Assignments – Explanation of DPI license codes.