STEP 1: Confirm with your Educator Preparation Program (EPP) that your endorsement has already been submitted to the DPI.
This Endorsed Candidates for Licensure (ECL) data is required to complete your online license application. If you are unsure whether your EPP has submitted this data to the DPI, please contact the Certification Officer at your EPP. DPI does not have an easy way to search for an individual candidate's endorsement.
STEP 2: Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
STEP 3: If you have ever applied for and/or been issued a license by DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system by connecting your WAMS account to an existing account - Onboarding Instructions
STEP 4: Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted.
The following applicants are required to submit fingerprints to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) when applying for a license:
- Applicants who have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any of the locations listed below within the last twenty years (after age 17):
- U.S. states other than Wisconsin
- Listed U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands)
- Great Britain (England, Scotland, or Wales)
- Applicants, who since their most recent submission of fingerprints to DPI have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any locations listed above.
- Applicants who provide an address on their application that is in any of the locations listed above.
If you need to get fingerprinted, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requ... for how to complete this.
STEP 5: Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO
- Read ELO's Conduct and Comptency Questions - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/tepdl/pdf/Preview_CC_01...
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
STEP 6: Have your credit card ready
- If you do not already have a credit card, purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Cash and checks are not accepted.
STEP 7: Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org to apply.
Note: Using ELO on Macintosh OS X or on mobile devices may result in unexpected behavior.
The bottom section allows you to start a new application. If this is your first Wisconsin teacher license or you currently hold an Initial Educator license, request an Initial Educator license:
If you already hold a Professional Educator teacher license, request another Professional Educator license:
If you have more than one license for which you want to apply, you will need to repeat the process for each license.
Do not check out until you have submitted applications for all of the licenses you want to renew