TIPS for first-time administrator* applicants who completed a program in Wisconsin
- Confirm that your Educator Preparation Program (EPP) has already submitted your endorsement to the DPI. This Endorsed Candidates for Licensure (ECL) data is required to complete your online license application. If you are unsure whether your EPP has submitted this data to the DPI, please contact the Certification Officer at your EPP.
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- Successfully "onboard" into the ELO system if you have ever been issued a license by DPI - Onboarding Instructions
Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
- Prepare all required documents by scanning them into a PDF file no larger than 2MB and saved in a place from which you can upload them during the ELO application process:
- PI-1613 Work Experience form to confirm at least three years of teaching or pupil services experience at the PK-12 level;
- PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form(s) to confirm eligibility for a teaching or pupil services license (ONLY required if you do not already hold a teacher or pupil services license in Wisconsin).
- Test score report(s) may be required to determine eligibility for a Wisconsin teaching or pupil services license (if you do not already hold such a license in Wisconsin).
Note: After January 30, 2014, Reading Specialist applicants MUST include evidence verifying successful completion of the WI Foundations of Reading Test (for more information, see our testing requirements web page)
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
*Administrator includes Principal, District Administrator/Superintendent, Director of Instruction, Director of Special Education and Pupil Services, School Business Administrator, Reading Specialist, Instructional Library Media Supervisor, and Instructional Technology Coordinator