ELO First-time Application Tips for an Educator Substitute License via WI License or Program

Note: We can no longer accept license applications for the 2014-2015 school year.

Directions for an applicant who holds or has held a Professional Educator License (including Life License) and/or who completed a program in Wisconsin and is requesting for the first time a 5-year license as a substitute.

IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happenedYou must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable.  (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)

  • If you do not or have not held a Professional Educator License in Wisconsin, you will need to scan ​a completed PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form into a PDF file that is less than 2 MB in size and save the file so that it is readily available to upload into ELO during the application process.
  • Have your credit card ready.  If you do not already have a credit card, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.


Contact the ELO Help Desk - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/support/contact-elo