Directions for a first-time applicant who is either licensed in another state or completed a program in another state, has no previous license in Wisconsin, and is requesting a 5 year license as a substitute.
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- If you have ever held a license from DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system - Onboarding Instructions
Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
Scan one of the following two required documents into a PDF file that is less than 2 MB in size and save the file so that it is readily available to upload into ELO during the application process:
- a copy of a valid regular educator license for teaching, administration or pupil services issued by another state
- a completed PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.