NOTE: Please wait to apply until January 1st of the year in which your license expires. By state law, we cannot start processing these applications until January 1st, so your application may expire if you apply early.
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- Successfully "onboard" into the ELO system - Onboarding Instructions
Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card to pay the fee, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org. The transaction for requesting that your Professional Educator License be extended one year can be found in the drop down menu next to your license in the "Manage your license information" section on the ELO Quick Start page. The transaction number is 4030.
The start date of your extended license will be July 1 when it is approved. Work on finishing your required professional development so that your license can be renewed for another five years.