NOTE: Please wait until January 1, 2015, to apply for an extension for a license that expires June 30th, 2015. By state law, we cannot start processing these applications until January 1st, so your application may expire if you apply early.
Directions for teachers, administrators, and pupil services professionals who need a 1-year extension of their Initial Educator License:
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- Successfully "onboard" into the ELO system - Onboarding Instructions
Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundchecks/completing-the-fingerprint-requirement
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at: http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/background-checks-licensure
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
- Be prepared to upload a PI-1613 Experience Verification form to confirm completion of at least three years of successful teaching, administrative or pupil services experience. If you have not had three years experience, you may apply to have your Initial Educator License reissued instead.
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card to pay the fee, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org. The transaction for requesting that your Initial Educator License be extended one year can be found in the drop down menu next to your license in the "Manage your license information" section on the ELO Quick Start page. The transaction number is 4020.