Directions for Applying for a 1-Year Extension of an Initial Educator License

NOTE: Please wait to apply until January 1st of the year in which your license expires.  By state law, we cannot start processing these applications until January 1st, so your application may expire if you apply early.

Directions for teachers, administrators, and pupil services professionals who need a 1-year extension of their Initial Educator License:

IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happenedYou must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable.  (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)

  • Be prepared to upload a PI-1613 Experience Verification form to confirm completion of at least three years of successful teaching, administrative or pupil services experience.  If you have not had three years experience, you may apply to have your Initial Educator License reissued instead.
  • Have your credit card ready.  If you do not already have a credit card to pay the fee, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
  • Log into the ELO system -  The transaction for requesting that your Initial Educator License be extended one year can be found in the drop down menu next to your license in the "Manage your license information" section on the ELO Quick Start page.  The transaction number is 4020.
  • The start date of your extended license will be July 1 when it is approved.  Work on finishing your required professional development so that your license can be advanced to the Professional level.


Contact the ELO Help Desk -